There are times when you just need a heavy-duty drill. Those are the times to reach for this unit from DeWalt. With 650 UWA of power, this is one of the most powerful cordless drills on the market. It’s hard to compare it accurately with other manufacturer’s units, as DeWalt doesn’t give torque outputs in in/lbs. However, it is a full 200 UWA more powerful than DeWalt’s DCD985L2, which is the next model down in their line.
I really like DeWalt’s LED work light mounting, putting it on the foot of the tool. That eliminates those pesky shadows that so often come with LED work lights. It also stays on a full 20 seconds after the trigger is released, which is really nice for those times when you just have to use it as a flashlight.
The chuck on this tool gives you a good idea of the thought that’s been put into making it rugged. It’s a 1/2″ all metal ratcheting chuck, with carbide inserts. The ratcheting should eliminate any problem with loosening and the carbide inserts should allow it to grip even today’s harder drill bits.
For those really heavy-duty drilling applications, there’s a right angle handle, so that you can use it two-handed. In and of itself, that shows that this drill isn’t in the same category as the Porter-Cable PCCK600LB. While the Porter-Cable is cheaper, this one packs a lot more power into its frame.
- 650 UWO (unit watts output) makes this DeWalt’s most powerful cordless drill
- 3 Speed ranges give you better control wiath a range of 0 – 2000 RPM
- Brushless motor, gives you up to 57% more run time over brushed motors
- All metal transmission
- 1/2” all metal ratcheting chuck with carbide inserts for superior grip strength
- Low mounted LED work light with 20 second trigger release delay
- Comes with two 4.0 Ah Li-Ion batteries, with battery gauges
- On board bit holder
- Belt hook
- Removable handle for second hand support
- While compact for what it is, the weight and size of this tool would be hard to work with overhead for long periods of time
- Between the brushless motor and the 4.0 Ah batteries, you can get a lot done on a charge
- High power for those times when you need it
- LED work light is mounted at the battery holder, eliminating the shadow that is typical with LED lighted tools
There are times when you just plain have to have a heavy-duty drill. That’s usually meant reaching for a corded one; but the newer cordless tools are challenging the power we’re used to getting out of corded ones. This DeWalt DCD990M2 is one of the most powerful drills around, providing ample power for even the most demanding applications.