If you’re just starting out as a finish carpenter, or you’re a do-it-yourselfer who has a lot of trim to install, the Bostitch BTFP12237 gives you a lot of versatility for a very good price. This kit has everything you need for nailing any type of finish.
I’m always a bit leery of combination kits. It seems that you get one outstanding item, one piece of junk and something in the middle. Well, not so with this package. While Bostitch finish and brad nailers can’t be called the cream of the crop, they are great workhorses that you can count on. In fact, there isn’t a piece of junk in this kit. It’s comparable pricewise with the Porter-Cable PCFP12234 kit, which has the same types of tools. Personally, I think the Porter-Cable is just a touch better; although these are still very good.
The compressor is nice and compact, delivering 2.6 CFM of air at up to 150 PSI. It’s actually a smaller diameter than most pancake compressors, which is nice when you’re trying to find someplace to store it. Everything is on a control panel as well, as if they realized they weren’t selling this to experts.
I’ve used both the finish nailer and the brad nailer myself, without a hitch. The only problem was when one of the seals wore out on the trigger. There isn’t an actual o-ring kit for these, so you’ve got to buy every o-ring individually. That’s fine for me, but I can see where it would be a problem for some people.
The one thing I don’t like is that you have to use a hex wrench to open the nosepiece and take out a jammed nail. I avoid jams by oiling the nosepiece, something that most users don’t bother to do. But when that nail hits the head of a nail and bends, I still have to take it apart. Don’t like that hassle.
- Compressor provides 2.6 SCFM at 150 PSI, with a 6 gallon tank
- Compressor is oil free
- Comes with 3 air nailers: 16 ga finishing nailer, 18 ga brad nailer, and 18 ga finish stapler (7/32” crown)
- All guns have adjustable depth control
- All guns come with no-mar tip protectors
- Complete kit, comes with everything you need to get started
- Nosepieces on the three air guns are not tool-free, easy-open, require an Allen wrench
- Problems with getting replacement o-rings, as they don’t come in a kit
- The drive blade is a touch too long, but fairly easy to grind down (common problem with air nailers)
- Depth adjustment is rather touchy
- Lightweight housings make these guns easy to work with
- “Pancake” compressor is nice and compact, more compact than the competition
A real great deal for those that need a whole finish nailer package. I really like the smaller footprint pancake compressor. The guns in this Bostitch BTFP12237 kit may not be fancy, but they sure are workhorses. Building your own home? This kit will take care of nailing all the trim for you.